Book Giveaway: World Class: A Story of Adversity, Transformation, and Success at NYU Langone Health
World Class tells the turnaround story of NYU Langone Health, in which renowned scientist, businessman, and healthcare expert William A. Haseltine relates how NYU Langone Dean and CEO Bob Grossman and Board of Trustees Chairman Ken Langone transformed an unprofitable, poorly ranked medical institution to a global leader in patient centered care—in less than a decade.
How did NYU Langone ascend from mediocrity to a world class leader that today delivers clinical excellence, outstanding safety performance, and total patient satisfaction—all while generating a substantial financial surplus? As related by Dr. Haseltine in the first book to be published by the world’s leading progressive business media brand—Fast Company Press—Grossman, Langone and a tightly focused group of leaders ignited this rise by applying “levers of change” that any executive or policymaker can emulate to an institution on a path to excellence:
- Matching delivery of services to the needs of the consumer, in this case a fundamental shift away from delivering care in hospitals to ambulatory care in communities and a in homes.
- Building a first-rate modern information environment, where comprehensive, real time, interface free, integrated, and actionable data is made available horizontally and vertically across the organization.
- Shifting to a relentless focus on quality and total patient satisfaction, rather than an obsession with cost.
- Transforming from a culture of complacency to one of aspiration and inspiration—the relentless desire to be the very best.
- Streamlining management and driving flawless execution by a tightly integrated and agile board and leadership team working closely, quickly, and collaboratively to solve problems and respond to challenges.
In so doing, Dr. Haseltine also offers a crucial lesson for health communities in both high and low income nations grappling with how to deliver effective healthcare at a manageable cost. As noted by Peter Orszag, the 37th Director of the Office of Management and Budget and former Director of the Congressional Budget Office, “Getting more for our healthcare dollars … requires the gritty, often unappreciated work of improving the performance of our delivery system—including our nation’s leading medical centers.”
Legendary former CEO and Chairman of General Electric Jack Welch calls World Class “the template” by which “management and leadership in any industry” can “ensure their businesses thrive and flourish, even when in the midst of the most dire circumstances.”
It’s a “vivid example,” per former Honeywell Chairman and CEO Larry Bossidy, “of what can be accomplished when leaders blend vision, courage, conviction and an uninterrupted quest to achieve unprecedented objectives.”
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
William A. Haseltine, Ph.D., has an active career in science, business, and philanthropy. He was a professor at Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health, where he was Founder and the Chair of the Division of Biochemical Pharmacology and the Division of Human Retrovirology.
He is known for his pioneering work on cancer, HIV/AIDS, and genomics. He founded twelve biotechnology companies. Eight pharmaceutical products from companies he founded are currently approved by US and international regulatory agencies.
Haseltine is currently Chair and President of ACCESS Health International, a foundation active in the United States, India, China, Singapore, the Netherlands, and the Philippines.
This book giveaway has ended. We are no longer accepting entries.
View previous book giveaway titles