May 4, 2004
News & Opinion: Biz Media - FC and Inc., May
By: 800-CEO-READ @ 8:06 PM – Filed under: Big Ideas & New Perspectives, Marketing & Sales, Personal Development & Human Behavior
Since these are both published by Gruner+Jahr, I thought I would post them together. Inc. currently ends their magazine with a column by Adam Hanft. His essay this month is titled "What I Learned From The Sopranos" (p130). You can guess the books. Leadership Sopranos Style by Deborrah Himsel came out in Dec. and Tony Soprano on Management by Anthony Schneider was released in Feb. Both weigh in on the mob boss as management mentor. Also cashing in are The Tao of Bada Bing and The Sopranos Family Cookbook. Fast Company normally has quite a few titles on their pages and this month is no different.
- There is an interview with Erik Weihenmayer, author of Touch the Top of the World (p40).
- There is a review of book/movie The Corporation by Joel Bakan (p46). We talked about the book a couple of weeks ago.
- The Readers' Choice selection for May is Steve Farber's The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership (p102). Farber is visiting FC Now this week as a guest host.
- The July Nominees for Readers' Choice (p102):
- A Bias for Action: How Effective Managers Harness Their Willpower to Achieve Results by Heike Bruch and Sumantra Ghoshal
- The Birth of Plenty: How the Prosperity of the Modern World Was Created by William Bernstein
- The 5 Paths to Persuasion: How to Sell to America's Toughest Executives by Robert B. Miller and Gary A. Williams with Alden Hayashi
- On Paradise Drive: How We Choose to Live in a Rosier Future by David Brooks
- Wordcraft: The Art of Turning Little Words into Big Business by Alex Frankel