February 27, 2006
News & Opinion: Bo Burlingham/Small Giants Interview
Bo and I went on so long that I have divided the podcast into three segments.
- Segment 1: mp3, 15:25, 14.1MB - We talk about what it means to be an editor-at-large, the significant changes that have taken place at Inc. in the last year, and "What is a Small Giant?"
- Segment 2: mp3, 32:55, 30.1MB - We talk through the 14 companies Bo profiles as Small Giants in the book
- Anchor Brewing Company (San Francisco, CA)
- Citi-Storage (Brooklyn, NY)
- Clif Bar (Berkeley, CA)
- Ecco (Boise, ID)
- Hammerhead Productions (Studio City, CA)
- Rhythms and Hues (Los Angeles, CA)
- O.C. Tanner Co. (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Reell Precision Manufacturing (St. Paul, MN)
- Righteous Babe Records (Buffalo, NY)
- Selima Inc. (Miami Brach, FL)
- The Goltz Group (Chicago, IL)
- Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY)
- W.L Butler Construction Inc. (Redwood City, CA)
- Zingerman's Community of Businesses (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Segment 3: mp3, 37:35, 34.4MB - In the final segment, we spend time on the qualities of a Small Giant. There are interchanges on mojo, local involvement, and the importance of the leaders at these companies.
- Bo's Small Giants website
- Small Is The New Big (An adapted excerpt from Inc. magazine by Bo about Jay Goltz)
- Book Excerpts (via Small Giants site)
- Bo's Cool Friends Interview with tompeters.com
- Book Review from The Miami Herald's Richard Pachter
- Raising the Bar: Integrity and Passion in Life and Business, the Story of Clif Bar, Inc by Gary Erickson
- Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating: How to Choose the Best Bread, Cheeses, Olive Oil, Pasta, Chocolate, and Much More by Ari Weinzweig
- The Street Smart Entrepreneur: 133 Tough Lessons I Learned the Hard Way by Jay Goltz
About Dylan Schleicher
Dylan Schleicher has been a part of the 800-CEO-READ claque since 2003. Even though he's stayed on at the company, he has not stayed put. After beginning in shipping & receiving, he joined customer service and accounting before moving into his current, highly elliptical orbit of duties overseeing the ChangeThis and In the Books websites, the company's annual review of books and in-house design. He lives with his wife and two children in the Washington Heights neighborhood on Milwaukee's West Side.