May 15, 2006
News & Opinion: For New Hires: Sink or Swim Week 2
Welcome to week three of the Sink or Swim: New Job, New Boss, Twelve Weeks to Get it Right blog. This week we focus on getting clarity on how your job fits into the bigger picture of team and company objectives and look at a couple ways to work more effectively with new team mates and your new manager. In week two you will want to focus on these areas:
- Identify / confirm your specific responsibilities: What does procure resources really mean? Get very clear on exactly what is expected of you.
- Refine your routine to make the most of your time: When you know how long it takes to get from point A to point B you on your way to becoming the master of your schedule.
- Define what you know and what you need to know: The first step in making a contribution is understanding what you have to contribute. Equally important is defining what you need to learn more about.
- Identify roles and responsibilities of your team mates: Understanding their roles will provide context for your job and know who to turn to for help.
- Continue to network: Get out there make small talk and shake some hands!