October 11, 2004
News & Opinion: Gaming and the System
There is a new book out called Got Game: How the Gamer Generation Is Reshaping Business Forever. Frans talked about it while he was here, so I thought I would pick it up and have a look. The authors John Beck and Mitchell Wade talk about how the heavy video-gaming of today's youth is shaping their attitudes. The video games principles include:
- If you get there first, you win.
- There's a limited set of tools, and it is certain that some combination will work. If you choose the right combination, the game will reward you.
- Trial and error is the best strategy and the fastest way to learn.
- Elders and their received wisdom can't help; they don't understand even the basics of this new world.
- You will confront surprises and difficulties that your are not prepared for. But the sum of those risks and dangers, by definition, cannot make the quest foolish.
- Once you collect the right "objects" (business plan, prototype, customers, maybe even profits), you'll get an infusion of gold to tide you over.
- While there may be momentary setbacks, overall the trend will be up.