October 11, 2004
News & Opinion: Gaming and the System
- If you get there first, you win.
- There's a limited set of tools, and it is certain that some combination will work. If you choose the right combination, the game will reward you.
- Trial and error is the best strategy and the fastest way to learn.
- Elders and their received wisdom can't help; they don't understand even the basics of this new world.
- You will confront surprises and difficulties that your are not prepared for. But the sum of those risks and dangers, by definition, cannot make the quest foolish.
- Once you collect the right "objects" (business plan, prototype, customers, maybe even profits), you'll get an infusion of gold to tide you over.
- While there may be momentary setbacks, overall the trend will be up.
About Dylan Schleicher
Dylan Schleicher has been a part of the 800-CEO-READ claque since 2003. Even though he's stayed on at the company, he has not stayed put. After beginning in shipping & receiving, he joined customer service and accounting before moving into his current, highly elliptical orbit of duties overseeing the ChangeThis and In the Books websites, the company's annual review of books and in-house design. He lives with his wife and two children in the Washington Heights neighborhood on Milwaukee's West Side.