Over the course of this week, we will be introducing, by category, the candidates for the 2011 800-CEO-READ Business Book Awards. Even though only one of the candidates can win the big prize, good business books deserve an audience, and perhaps one on this list will be the winning book..to you.
Today, we take a look at the candidates in the General Business category.
- Your Medical Mind: How to Decide What Is Right for You by Jerome Groopman and Pamela Hartzband | The Penguin Press
- The Quest: Energy, Security, and the Remaking of the Modern World by Daniel Yergin | The Penguin Press
- One Click: Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com by Richard L. Brandt | Portfolio/Penguin US
- Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America by Jeff Ryan | Portfolio/Penguin US
- Car Guys Vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business by Robert A. Lutz | Portfolio/Penguin US
- Idea Man: A Memoir by the Cofounder of Microsoft by Paul Allen | Portfolio/Penguin US
- Mob Rules: What the Mafia Can Teach the Legitimate Businessman by Louis Ferrante | Portfolio/Penguin US
- World 3.0: Global Prosperity and How to Achieve It by Pankaj Ghemawat | Harvard Business Review Press
- The Intuitive Compass: Why the Best Decisions Balance Reason and Instinct Francis by P. Cholle | Jossey-Bass, An Imprint of Wiley
- The Responsible Business: Reimagining Sustainability & Success by Carol Sanford | Jossey-Bass, An Imprint of Wiley
- The Green to Gold Business Playbook: How to Implement Sustainability Practices for Bottom-Line Results in Every Business by P.J. Simmons, Daniel C. Esty | Wiley
- Drowning In Oil: BP & The Reckless Pursuit of Profit by Loren Steffy | McGraw-Hill
- Newspaperman: Inside the News Business at the Wall Street Journal by Warren H. Phillips | McGraw-Hill
- Overconnected: The Promise and Threat of the Internet by William H. Davidow | Delphinium Books
- Everything Is Obvious: Once You Know the Answer by Duncan J. Watts | Crown Publishing Group, Crown Business
- Demand: Creating What People Love Before They Know They Want It by Adrian J. Slywotzky, Karl Weber | Crown Publishing Group, Crown Business
- The Origins of Business, Money, and Markets by Keith Roberts | Columbia Business School Publishing
- Pricing and Profitability Management: A Practical Guide for Business Leaders by Julie M. Meehan, Michael G. Simonetto, Larry Montan, Jr., Christopher A. Goodin | John Wiley & Sons (Asia) Pte. Ltd.
- Grow Smart, Risk Less: A Low-Capital Path to Multiplying Your Business Through Franchising by Shelly Sun | Greenleaf Book Group
- Beauty Pays: Why Attractive People Are More Successful by Daniel S. Hamermesh | Princeton University Press
- End Malaria: Bold Innovation, Limitless Generosity, And the Opportunity to Save a Life by Michael Bungay Stanier | The Domino Project
- The Next Boom: What You Absolutely Positively Have to Know About the World Between Now and 2025 by Jack W. Plunkett | BizExecs Press
- Making the World Work Better: The Ideas That Shaped a Century and a Company by Steve Hamm, Kevin Maney, Jeffrey M O'Brien | IBM Press/Pearson
- Grow the Entrepreneurial Dream: The Ultimate Guide to Business Success by Jim H. Houtz | Greenleaf Book Group
- You Can Present With Confidence: How to Speak Like a Pro, Dazzle Your Audience, and Get the Results You Want Ever by Paul du Toit | Greenleaf Book Group
- 6 Steps to 7 Figures: A Real Estate Professional's Guide to Building Wealth and Creating Your Own Destiny by Pat Hiban | Greenleaf Book Group
- The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search by Wayne Breitbarth | Greenleaf Book Group
- The Velocity Manifesto: Harnessing Technology, Vision, and Culture to Future-Proof Your Organization by Scott Klososky | Greenleaf Book Group
- Enterprise Social Technology: Helping Organizations Harness the Power of Social Media, Social Networking, Social Relevancy by Scott Klososky | Greenleaf Book Group
So which book is going to win the General Business category and be in the running for the 800-CEO-READ Best Business Book of 2011? We'll announce the shortlist and winner in January!