October 18, 2006
News & Opinion: Learn from Nine Minds on Marketing
We worked with Andrea Learned, co-author of Dont Think Pink: What Really Makes Women Buyand How to Increase Your Share of the Market, to develop this e-book. For the project, Andrea read nine recent marketing books recommended by the brain trust here at 8CR, interviewed the author(s), and wrote nine essays. She did this so you can have an inside look into the latest marketing trends.
My sales pitch to you: Its only $8.95 (cheaper than the nine books, even used).
Time: Itll take you an hour to read, tops. Print it off or save it on your laptop for your next plane trip. Heres a bit of what youll find.
The authors and books featured in the essays are:
- The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
by Annette Simmons
- Treasure Hunt: Inside the Mind of the New Customer
by Michael J. Silverstein
- Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things
by Donald A. Norman
- The Experience Economy: Work is Theatre & Every Business is a Stage
by B. Joseph Pine and James H. Gilmore
- The Trendmasters Guide: Get a Jump on What Your Customer Wants Next
by Robyn Waters
- The Marketing Playbook: Five Battle-Tested Plays for Capturing and Keeping the Lead in Any Market
by John Zagula
- Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage
by Fred Senn
- PyroMarketing: The Four-Step Strategy to Ignite Customer Evangelists and Keep Them for Life
by Greg Stielstra
- Robin Hood Marketing: Stealing Corporate Saavy to Sell Just Causes
by Katya Andresen
With each essay, Andrea distills the books main ideas and methods for application and shares how her interviews with the authors better informed their written work. Her essays are reflective, inspiring and just plain fun to read.
Here is an excerpt from Andreas essay, Make Marketing Superfluous, inspired by reading The Experience Economy and talking with the authors, Pine and Gilmore, founders of Strategic Horizons, LLP.
Heres another tidbit from Zen and Countertrends, written after Andrea read The Trendmasters Guide and spoke with Robyn Waters, former Vice President of Trend, Design and Development for Target.
Check it out.
About Dylan Schleicher
Dylan Schleicher has been a part of the 800-CEO-READ claque since 2003. Even though he's stayed on at the company, he has not stayed put. After beginning in shipping & receiving, he joined customer service and accounting before moving into his current, highly elliptical orbit of duties overseeing the ChangeThis and In the Books websites, the company's annual review of books and in-house design. He lives with his wife and two children in the Washington Heights neighborhood on Milwaukee's West Side.