November 21, 2005
News & Opinion: Lots o' Stuff
In Mondays November 21, 2005 Wall Street Journal is a ton of good stuff. One of the articles is about a subject I have been interested in for a long time. The article is about learning to be a boss. I especially like the fact that Erin White, the author, broke the article down to five common mistakes.
- Wanting to be pals with your former peers and not establishing your credibility as a boss
- Asserting your new authority too harshly and coming down too hard on former peers
- Not giving a problem employee honest feedback because you dont like conflictthen surprising him at a performance review.
- Wanting to keep doing the work yourself, rather than developing your employees skills
- Assuming employees know exactly what you want them to do without giving them specific direction
Mr. Collins now says that great leadership involves not just his traditional virtues, but also the prosaic, City Hall knack of cobbling together coalitions to get things done. He calls this "legislative leadership," built upon persuasion, political currency and shared interests.