March 25, 2008
News & Opinion: New Excerpt Up - from The IT Value Stack
Here's a direct link to the excerpt: http://800ceoread.com/excerpts/archives/007824.html
Introduction: What's IT All About?
"Leadership has a harder job to do than just choose sides. It must bring sides together."
Jesse Jackson, US Civil Rights Leader
Welcome to The IT Value Stack - A Boardroom Guide to IT Leadership. Before we get into the content proper I have provided some insights into why I have written this book. This opening chapter also details the book's structure.
I have my Reasons
Having worked in the IT sector for more than two decades, I have made a number of observations that are in many ways interrelated:
- The IT industry has a poor delivery record.
- Business people do not know what IT people are talking about. And this doesn't seem to bother IT people.
- Users are generally suspicious of IT people.
- Executives are frustrated that they cannot measure whether they are getting good value from their IT investment.
- There is a perception that all problems involving IT are ipso facto the fault of the IT department.
- The IT industry suffers from low self-esteem.
- Many businesses do not know what business they are in. I will dwell on these in the next chapter.
About Dylan Schleicher
Dylan Schleicher has been a part of the 800-CEO-READ claque since 2003. Even though he's stayed on at the company, he has not stayed put. After beginning in shipping & receiving, he joined customer service and accounting before moving into his current, highly elliptical orbit of duties overseeing the ChangeThis and In the Books websites, the company's annual review of books and in-house design. He lives with his wife and two children in the Washington Heights neighborhood on Milwaukee's West Side.