June 22, 2006
News & Opinion: To New Hires: Sink or Swim Week 7
Ah yes! Time for another blog entry for Sink or Swim. This week we bring you a little common sense in the form of some pointers when finding that you have hmmm Whats this best way of saying thisdropped the ball.
When you make a mistake:
- Admit the Mistake Dont wait for it to be discovered nor pass the blame.
- Provide Context - Provide reasoning behind the decision and what you might do differently in the future.
- Apologize for making the mistake A little humility can go a long way.
- Identify / offer assistance in fixing the issue You want to be a part of the solution. Identify your ideas for how to fix the problem not just an offer to help.
- Identify the underlying cause or reasoning that led to the mistake. For example, if you made a decision based on a quick guess what steps / additional information will you look for in the future so you can make an informed decision?
We eagerly await your response or stories for when you have completely messed up and what you learned from the experience.
About Dylan Schleicher
Dylan Schleicher has been a part of the 800-CEO-READ claque since 2003. Even though he's stayed on at the company, he has not stayed put. After beginning in shipping & receiving, he joined customer service and accounting before moving into his current, highly elliptical orbit of duties overseeing the ChangeThis and In the Books websites, the company's annual review of books and in-house design. He lives with his wife and two children in the Washington Heights neighborhood on Milwaukee's West Side.