October 31, 2005
News & Opinion: WSJ's Women to Watch
In the special section of the Wall Street Journal today, you will find profiles of The 50 Women to Watch 2005. Publishing is represented by two executive with Majorie Scardino (Chief Executive, Pearson, she's #8 here) and Tami Booth Corwin (President, Rodale Books, she's #21 here).
Janet Hanson, founder of 85 Broads, provides the recommended reading. These are a list of books that she says has shaped her professional life:
- The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition by Caroline Alexander
- Got Game: How the Gamer Generation Is Reshaping Business Forever by John Beck and Mitchell Wade
- The Party: A Guide to Adventurous Entertaining by Sally Quinn
- Close to the Wind: An Extraordinary Story of Triumph Over Adversity by Pete Goss
- Learning to Love Africa: My Journey from Africa to Harvard Business School and Back by Monique Maddy
- Covering Catastrophe: Broadcast Journalists Report September 11, Edited by Allison Gilbert, Robyn Walensky, Melinda Murphy, Phil Hirschkorn and Mitchell Stephens
You can see comments for all of her recommendations at wsj.com.
About Dylan Schleicher
Dylan Schleicher has been a part of the 800-CEO-READ claque since 2003. Even though he's stayed on at the company, he has not stayed put. After beginning in shipping & receiving, he joined customer service and accounting before moving into his current, highly elliptical orbit of duties overseeing the ChangeThis and In the Books websites, the company's annual review of books and in-house design. He lives with his wife and two children in the Washington Heights neighborhood on Milwaukee's West Side.