June 19, 2007
News & Opinion: Take 'em to the beach.
- The Poker Face of Wall Street by Aaron Brown (due out late July) -- how gambling fits in with finance.
- The Disposable American: Layoffs and Their Consequences by Louis Uchitelle -- the ugly side of layoffs.
- Mr. Gladwell's Blink
- Spoiling For A Fight: The Rise of Eliot Spitzer by Brooke A. Masters -- learn about the roots of the NY governor.
- Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand by New York Times reporter James Barron -- "Follow a single piano, No. K0862, on its yearlong journey through Steinway & Sons' New York City factory and on to the company's storied concert division, where instruments are earmarked for loans to artists and institutions."
- Toxic Emotions at Work and What You Can Do About Them by Peter E. Frost
- 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann -- an insight into what Native American life was like before Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.
- Iacocca: An Autobiography -- No need to find the paperback from 1984; Lee's autobiography was recently re-published.
- Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company by Bob Sutton -- Here's what Jack had to say about Weird Ideas. You may also know Bob from his recent book The No Asshole Rule.
- Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky -- on life in France during WWII. The author died in Auschwitz before finishing the book.
About Dylan Schleicher
Dylan Schleicher has been a part of the 800-CEO-READ claque since 2003. Even though he's stayed on at the company, he has not stayed put. After beginning in shipping & receiving, he joined customer service and accounting before moving into his current, highly elliptical orbit of duties overseeing the ChangeThis and In the Books websites, the company's annual review of books and in-house design. He lives with his wife and two children in the Washington Heights neighborhood on Milwaukee's West Side.